Monday, April 18, 2011

THE FIRST WEEKEND

"April is the cruelest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead land," prolific baetis hatches from still ice cold water, magenta hued rainbows on the redds, and WIND! Pardon me. Did I mention the WIND! T.S. Elliott did not write of baetis hatches and redds or WIND!  The wind does blow in Wyoming in the spring.

I launched the new Clackacraft for its maiden voyage on the Grey Reef Friday morning.  It was a bit chilly but I love the crispness of the morning air. 

All three days were pretty much carbon copies.  Fishing was good but not "en fuego".  Flows on the Reef are 4500 cfs.  Flows again this spring will be high to rid the system of abundant water.  I love it when it gets above 6000.

Fishing at 4500 requires long leaders and considerable weight.  Those two factors make hook sets on subtle takes difficult even for seasoned anglers.  I love the challenge of introducing novice anglers to the art of fly fishing.  Sunday I had the privilege of guiding a father and his ten year old son.  The young man brought numerous fish to the net!  Not sure whose smile was the biggest.  Son, Dad or mine. 

Oh, did I mention the WIND blows in April in Wyoming?

No comments:

Post a Comment